ICC Men’s T20 World Cup postponed due to COVID-19
The men’s T20 World Cup postponed due to pandemic caused by the spread of deadly Coronavirus, ICC confirmed.
- ICC men’s T20 World Cup postponed.
- The new window for coming events has been agreed upon.
- India to host T20 World Cup in 2021.
- The Official announcement.
The ICC has made an official decision that ICC Men’s T20 World Cup postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic that put a fear halt on cricket earlier this year. International Cricket Council body has held multiple meetings in the last few months to take a call on this year’s T20 WC, an official decision has finally been made. The game’s governing body sent out a statement on Monday that read: “The ICC Men’s T20 World Cup in Australia 2020 has been postponed due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic.”
In doing that, the 2021 edition of the men’s T20 World Cup will be held in India as scheduled and Australia will host the tournament in 2022, sources said.
The ICC has also shifted the men’s 2023 World Cup to Oct-Nov, from Feb-Mar as scheduled before.
In the meeting of the IBC Board, the schedule of upcoming three men’s events of ICC has also announced.
The scheduled windows by ICC for the Men’s events are the following:
– ICC Men’s T20 WC 2021 will be held in October-November 2021, with the final on November 14, 2021
– ICC Men’s T20 WC 2022 will be held in October-November 2022, with the final on November 13, 2022
– ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2023 will be held in India in October-November 2023, with the final on November 26, 2023
Earlier in May, The Sports Round Up had reported that the men’s T20 World Cup is likely to be postponed, due to COVID-19 fear halt on the showpiece event of cricket calendar and now it’s official that the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup postponed.
“The IBC Board agreed to continue to monitor the rapidly changing situation and assess all the information available in order to make a considered decision on future hosts to ensure the sport is able to stage safe and successful global events in 2021 and 2022,” the ICC stated in a release about the situation caused by COVID-19.
More Read in Cricket:
“The IBC Board will also continue to evaluate the situation in relation to being able to stage the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup 2021 in New Zealand in February next year. In the meantime, planning for this event continues as scheduled.”
In addition, the ICC chief executive said regarding the hot matter: “We have undertaken a comprehensive and complex contingency planning exercise and through this process, our number one priority has been to protect the health and safety of everyone involved in the sport.”
“The decision to postpone the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup was taken after careful consideration of all of the options available to us and gives us the best possible opportunity of delivering two safe and successful T20 WCs for fans around the world.”
“Our members now have the clarity they need around event windows to enable them to reschedule lost bilateral and domestic cricket. Moving the Men’s Cricket World Cup to a later window is a critical element of this and gives us a better chance of maintaining the integrity of the qualification process. This additional time will be used to reschedule games that might be lost because of the pandemic ensuring qualification can be decided on the field of play.”
“Throughout this process, we have worked closely with our key stakeholders including governments, Members, broadcasters, partners and medical experts to enable us to reach a collective decision for the good of the game and our fans. I would like to thank everyone involved for their commitment to a safe return to cricket.”
However, COVID-19 screwed up the sporting calendars all-square; all events were either suspended or forced postponed by the spread of Coronavirus in early March.